CardboardGhost
Potential
- Joined
- Jun 7, 2025
- Messages
- 138
I don't think that letting Buffy and Xander acknowledge what happened has to end in Xander getting blamed or in Buffy forgiving him for something that he didn't even really do. Those aren't the only two possible outcomes. I also don't like the implication that Buffy should be "just letting it go" when she was assaulted. The show doesn't let her be upset about it. Is it useful for her to be upset about it? Probably not, especially since she was fully capable of getting herself out of that situation. But she's not invulnerable. This would still have been really scary. It was scary for Xander, too. And considering how upset he is at the end of the episode, I think it probably would have helped him a lot to actually talk about it with Buffy, who knows it wasn't really him and clearly doesn't blame him. I understand why Xander lied, but I don't think it was a good choice and would have liked to see him get called out on it later when the writers make the choice to bring up this episode again. The writers themselves don't just let it go, why should Buffy?people criticize Xander for lying about not remembering but I don't think any good would come from not doing it. People think Buffy deserves to be able to confront the person who attacked her.
But that means Xander either accepts blame for something he had no control over or Buffy has to actively forgive him for something she endured rather than just letting it go