If the casting had been altered on Buffy

silvermoon

Potential
Joined
May 29, 2021
Messages
267
I'm not sure where to put this, but what if the casting had been entirely different? For example Amber Benson was cast as Buffy, or David B. was Spike and James M. was Angel?

I think everyone was pretty much perfectly cast, but to be honest it's a bit fun thinking about it.

Would anyone else actually a part of the show have worked in different roles?
 
Think of roles being swapped between Snyder and Giles. At least Buffy would have learned the Slayer's Manual.
Armin Shimmerman would probably not have had time for such a major role since he was also playing Quark on Deep Space Nine at the same time as he was portraying Snyder. But it would certainly have added more comic relief, which he does very well.

Julie Benz originally auditioned for the role of Buffy, which would have given the character a different tone, more intense, possibly darker. Though I'm not sure SMG would have pulled off playing Darla.
 
B
Btvs fan
SMG originally went for Cordelia
Swap Marc Blucas and James Marsters and nothing else. All the Spuffies would have been Brileys, there would have been howls of outrage over poor Riley's treatment in S5 and demands from S5-7 that that creep Spike be staked. 😀

Of course, if you did swap the roles, Spike wouldn't have survived S2 and Riley would have remained on the show.
 
B
Btvs fan
Christian Kane auditioned for Riley. Now that is interesting casting
I'm not sure where to put this, but what if the casting had been entirely different? For example Amber Benson was cast as Buffy, or David B. was Spike and James M. was Angel?

I think everyone was pretty much perfectly cast, but to be honest it's a bit fun thinking about it.

Would anyone else actually a part of the show have worked in different roles?

SMG originally auditioned for Cordelia, so did Bianca Lawson I believe as Joss wanted her to be black originally.
You can see the original Willow in the pilot
James Marsters said Spike was originally going to have a American Southern Accent
Christian Kane originally auditioned for Riley
 
She had trouble remembering her lines. Playing the main character might have been to much for her
Allyson forgot all her lines during the audition and they still hired her. Personally Buffy IS Sarah as far as i am concerned.

I think if Charisma had been cast as Buffy it would have been a more comedic series. Charisma had good timing but no where as much range as Sarah.

Sarah had potential to be major league though she never invested in the training or in finding the kinds of roles that would expand her, but she has a great deal of talent.
 
Anyone want to guess who could replace Kristy Swanson in the Buffy movie? Or Lothar? Or Amilyn? The casting seemed right, there.
I actually wish the movie watcher actor Donald Sutherland could have cameo'd as her late watcher in the TV flashback - but the show probably wasn't up to the place it got later where genuine stars and award winners guested. {Joel grey (Oscar), john ritter (emmy), Hinton Battle (Tony)}.

The movie cast, like the TV cast was very good, imo.
 
Ooh, this is a fun topic!

Julie Benz could have played Buffy well I think, though I know they thought she was too old, and maybe the were right.

The one I can't wrap my head around is that Katie Holmes was offered the role of Buffy. She's a great actor, but she's way too tall to play Buffy. I also can't imagine her as a blonde, which it was important to Joss that Buffy be. Selma Blair also auditioned, as well as for Katie's role in Dawson's Creek - and I think she would have been a great choice too.

Also, Britney Spears auditioned for the April Bot, but couldn't do it because of a scheduling conflict, and I think we can all agree that would have been amazing.

And I learned recently that Ryan Reynolds was offered the role of Xander and turned it down!

Lastly, FPJ, Sarah's husband, was supposed to play Dracula!
 
Back
Top Bottom