How many of you are disappointed that Buffy reboot didn't happen?

I'm only disappointed because we weren't getting Joss Whedon's vision and I say this because in the past he actually talked about some radical ideas he had bringing back the characters
 
I never really believed it was going to happen, I tried to believe. Maybe my lack of belief got it cancelled before it began.

When it was announced that Hulu was being merged into Disney I knew that New Sunnydale was in trouble. BTVS was a series that made it onto TV (and stayed for 7 seasons) because the studio & network stars aligned.

Those stars aligned again until the merger. Once the inevitable executive realignment happened New Sunnydale lost its champions and its chance.
 
When it was announced that Hulu was being merged into Disney I knew that New Sunnydale was in trouble. BTVS was a series that made it onto TV (and stayed for 7 seasons) because the studio & network stars aligned.

The stars were right? 😀

Those stars aligned again until the merger. Once the inevitable executive realignment happened New Sunnydale lost its champions and its chance.

Di$ney's main goal seems to be milking big IPs for money. Buffy is not a big IP. Really, they'd be better off farming out their smaller IPs to third parties and letting them make money from them, but there seems no interest in doing that for anything but merch.
 
The stars were right? 😀



Di$ney's main goal seems to be milking big IPs for money. Buffy is not a big IP. Really, they'd be better off farming out their smaller IPs to third parties and letting them make money from them, but there seems no interest in doing that for anything but merch.

Disney was always about control. Just read any of the stories about film productions or child stars. I don't think that Disney will ever farm out productions even though they did it with Pixar.
 
The stars were right? 😀



Di$ney's main goal seems to be milking big IPs for money. Buffy is not a big IP. Really, they'd be better off farming out their smaller IPs to third parties and letting them make money from them, but there seems no interest in doing that for anything but merch.

Sarah Michelle Gellar says it was down to 1 person (Craig Erwich) who said no
 
NotASlayer
NotASlayer
Admittedly, such decisions often do, and if the person making the decision doesn't like the property for instance, cancellation is in the air. I read that this is what happened to Classic Who.
Disney was always about control. Just read any of the stories about film productions or child stars. I don't think that Disney will ever farm out productions even though they did it with Pixar.

Yes, I can't really see them doing that, sensible as it might be, even though it would make them more money from a property they apparently have literally no interest in developing.

I would say that it's a pity you can't force companies to use it or lose it when it comes to IP if I didn't know that this would go badly; Disney has certainly overused some they own.
 
I haven't been in this forum in ages. I only just found out Hulu cancelled Buffy reboot...back in like March lol. So that tells you how out of the loop I've been.

Was going to make a thread, but this exists, so may as well post here instead.

Personally, I'm quite pleased.

I caught a clip on Roku TV of Magnum P.I.--only it wasn't the real Magnum P.I., it was the modern remake where everything is the same except Vietnam is Afghanistan and Higgins is a will they/won't they love interest instead of older veteran/mentor.

While I'm sure it is competent-ish TV, it's not as excellent as the original, and it has no right to exist. It is such a defining, lasting show that stands the test of time and it's just not right to do over it because modern writers can't have an original idea.

I feel the same about Buffy, and I have since I first heard of this reboot.

Let's face it, the odds of a modern reboot/remake actually doing justice to the source material are very slim, they almost always just insult the source material and its legacy while generating ratings purely on brand recognition. It's dirty and lazy.

I know SMG was very on board with this project, but she is at the end of the day, an actress, even if the leading one. Actors mean nothing without intelligent writers to give them lines and craft worlds and scripts. Joss Whedon wouldn't have been involved as he's been practically blacklisted in Hollywood I think. Not that having him on board would've necessarily made this a sensible idea or a successful one. It's not like creative people 30 years later are at the same level of brilliance always as they were in their prime. Sometimes they are, sometimes not.

My feeling is to just respect the legacy by leaving it well alone. Let it be a time capsule, let its themes and characters stand on their own feet. The story and its pun of conquering demons of growing up versus literal demons has been done. No need to re-do it. There weren't any open questions left unanswered or unfulfilled that beckon a revival. And Buffy in the early 90s (began with movie), being the badass action hero rather than the damsel in distress was very 90s in eschewing the old norms and being pretty feminist in a way. These days that isn't counter-culture anymore but a traditional cliche. Going back to old traditions of actually celebrating masculine heroes with female damsels would be more breaking trends in the modern world. Just like how we had so many "Superman, but he's evil!" movies and shows that actually showing Superman being Superman the hero again is somehow remarkable and unique once more.
 
Back
Top Bottom