A good cocktail of fear, emotion, realism and work on the psychology of the characters, here is the recipe for success in my opinion. As in
"The Bachelor Party" the character of Doyle is highlighted but where I reproached a lack of depth, I find that in
"Hero" the shot is corrected and the result is much more satisfying. Doyle is entitled to a wonderful outing, the most beautiful we can hope for. It's a shame that it happens so early in the season. Despite the undeniable development of Doyle that I attended here, I have a feeling of mess because I find that this character has great potential and the producers did not draw enough into it !
The comparison between Angel and Doyle is well found, when I think about it, I tell myself that it is true that they have a little the same route. The flashbacks about Doyle's past shows him solitary, living in misery, he is afraid of what he is, he isolates himself from the rest of the world, the more years pass the more he drowns in his despair. Angel knew a period like that too (especially when he ate rats
😕). This behavior is also an image of the identity conflict they face because not acting like a demon, living among humans without being close to them is representative of the fact that they are lost ! Both were/are afraid of the demonic part that existed in them and they refused to help others because being close to people, coming to their aid, doing good things, would have been the proof that, in a way, they were beginning to accept themselves as they are and it was a step that none of them was ready to cross at the time, at least not alone or without reason. Some protagonists intervened in their lives to help them emerge from this inner struggle, to assume themselves completely by giving them a reason to continue fighting :
"The Powers That Be" made Doyle their prophet by showing him suffering endured by others throughout the world through visions, and for Angel it was first Whisthler, then Buffy, and more recently Doyle, each one in turn, intervening at different times, were the forerunner of his change and the reason of his evolution. They both realized that the time of self-pity had lasted long enough and that they could bring happiness around them.
What I also appreciate is that the comparison does not stop at the level of the demon and on the supernatural level it expands on the human level. Doyle keeps repeating that Angel is a hero and that he has all confidence in him and at the same time he denigrates himself (
"I would have chosen the pleasures of the flesh over duty and honor but i do not Have that strenght. You lived, loved, fought and vainquished in a day and I'm still trying to ask Cordy out for dinner "). I like to see how the trend is reversed all along. There is already advertising for the agency, at first Angel is presented as the new hero of modern times, with his Batman style and his hilarious pseudo/nickname
"The Dark Avenger" 😛 and at a time Cordy realizes that he reflects a too perfect image and that people will feel closer to a hero with a more banal appearance, to who they will find flaws, someone more accessible I want to say and to who they can easily identify themselves. It's clear that Doyle fits perfectly. This is only the first element indicating a substitution between Angel and Doyle, the episode is full of others like the moment when Doyle goes in search of
"Reef" and he gives him hope and he persuades him to return to fight with their own people (
"They put their faith in something, you don't have to if you don't want but the other option, losing yourself somewhere, hoping it all goes away, i know that never works") . He must have recognized himself in
"Reef" because it was a time where also for him all hope had deserted his heart and he knows that abandonment is not the solution. A rather emotional and heroic speech that could have been pronounced by Angel. There is also the final, tearful, where Doyle sacrifices himself to turn off this destructive light. For once Angel is not the hero of history, he plays the role of the totally impotent viewer in front of the heroic sacrifice of his friend. He was not the
"Promised One" (as we might think) this legend did not concern him, it was talking about Doyle !
"The good fight yeah, you never know until you have been tested" this replies said by Angel at the beginning in reference to the previous episode, and at the end by Doyle in connection with what he does, sumps up all this idea of comparison between the two characters. Doyle is only there for nine episodes, and his death affects me a little but this momen could have been more moving if I had more time to attach myself to Doyle. However, I admit the end of the character is good because in the past he refused to help a demon like him because he did not assume what he was and in the present he dies for them in his demonic form, the proof that the errors of the past made him ripen and he has learned much.
Things were going so well between Cordelia and Doyle that it is frankly a shame to have him killed. However I do not know if I would have liked their couple because I think they work well as friends but it would have been interesting to deepen. Cordy finally learned that Doyle is a half demon and her reaction is logical, normal and coherent !
Doyle : "I wanted to tell you." I was afraid.
Cordy : "I've rejected you way before now!" So, you're half demon. " Would you ask me out for diner already ?
When Doyle kisses her just before he dies, saying
"Too bad we never know if this is a face you could learn to love" it was really like a goodbye and a statement at the same time .. I saw a Beginning and end of relationship at a time. Poor Cordy, she is so stunned by so many revelations and everything that rushes that she does not even have time to say a word, but I think the answer would have been YES. She could have done it !
Personal aecdote : Today when I saw this moment for the first time, I was so focused on the kiss and so overwhelmed by the emotion of the moment that I did not pay attention to the blue light that passes from Doyle to Cordy. I'm wondering what is it ? Basically, I wanted to get back to the scene just like that and that's when I noticed it. Like what being concentrated on a particular thing can make you go unnoticed the essentials
😀.
The metaphor of Nazism is not subtle at all, it is completely assumed. Between the hairstyle of Angel
😱😱😱), costumes, all this purebred history that want to eliminate the so-called inferior or impure races : fight against the mixed demons/humans also called
"bastards" and the speech of the commander who is a good speaker who recalls Hitler by his postures and his words. Yes, the metaphor is more than obvious. I think some people have to be embarrassed by this aspect of the episode whereas for me it is just part of the positive points. It is sure that it does not recall good memories but at the same time it is unfortunately part of the history of the world and it is what happened yesterday that has made the present. So I think we shoudn't forget that and it's important to remember it. After all, our present world we owe to our ancestors.
Doyle :"If you need help, then look no further, Angel Investigations is the best, our rates are low but our standards are high. When the chips are down and you are at the end of your rope, you need someone to count on. That is what you will find here, someone who will go all the way, who will protect you no matter what, don' loose hope. Come on over to our offices ! You will see there is still heroes in this world ! "