Lilah and Lindsey are strong personalities and competitive (what makes them good lawyers) and honestly I think they would have clashed as a couple.
Yes, it would have been a doomed relationship in the long run, but I think it could have been entertaining to watch.
Also no way that would have been more interesting with what we got with Lilah and Wesley.
Oh, I agree, Joanie. I wasn't weighing them against each other or stating a preference over what we got. Just observing possibilities.
Also. I always thought Lindsey was closeted gay and in love with Angel. I'm very surprised no one has mentioned Lindsey/Angel yet.
I don't see that. I think he's obsessed with Angel, attached to him, but I don't think it's sexual or romantic anymore than Batman and the Joker (and I know there are people who say that as well, but as a lifelong Batman fan, I have to say that they're wrong.)
I think he sees Angel as an idealized version of what he could be (he has morals and principles, which we see on many occasions, such as saving the oracle children in
"Blind Date," and we know that his only reason for compromising them is his traumatic upbringing and his fear of being powerless.) I think he has anger at Angel for so often defeating him in costly ways, gaining him the scrutiny of the Senior Partners, losing him his hand, etc. I think he is jealous of him, viewing him as the reason that he lost Darla, even though she never could have loved him to begin with.
I just don't see it as romantic or sexual in nature. I think it's far more complicated than that. He is the golden boy, the favored son of Holland Manners at the L.A. branch, and Angel is the primary focus of both Manners and the branch as a whole. It established a strong antagonism between them, as well as a singular attention, to begin with. After repeated failures against and losses to Angel (such as the death of Russell Winters), gaining him disappointment and reprimand from his mentor/father figure (Manners), this turned to anger and resentment (especially after the loss of his hand.)
When he fell for the human Darla, only for her to go running back to Angel, this antagonism took on a far more personal angle, focusing on Angel as the reason for every one of his failures and shortcomings, and yet jealous of him, both because Darla loved him and because he had the strength to hold his principles through suffering, while Lindsey's own principles were often violated by his work, which he performs out of a fear of being the victim that his father was. I think their relationship is, in a way, brotherly, though full of resentment. Some brothers don't get along, as I'm sure we all know.
That's just my read on it. For what it's worth.